Bulgur salad is the perfect dish for vegans. It`s filling, healty, delicous and easy to make. Bulgur is a good source of magnesium and iron and also lower in calories than other comparable whole grains.
Some Health Benefits of Bulgur Wheat
Bulgur takes time to break down in the intestine, resulting in a slow and consistent release of glucose in the body, preventing dangerous spikes and dips in blood sugar levels in diabetics.
Bulgur wheat is a wonderful source of minerals that the body needs. Manganese, a trace mineral found in several internal organs and bones, is thought to be necessary for appropriate nerve and brain function, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center.
When it comes to carbohydrates, choosing the proper ones is critical for staying healthy and losing weight.
Weight gain and an increased risk of metabolic syndrome, which leads to Type 2 diabetes, have been linked to refined carbohydrates like white rice and white flour, as well as foods produced from these carbs.
Let`s make Bulgur Salad!
Ingredients (4-5 servings)
300 gr bulgur
1 medium red onion, chopped
20 gr finely chopped parsley
5-6 finely chopped spring onions
1 tablespoon tomate paste
1 tablespoon paprika paste
1 teaspoon salt (8 gr)
1 teaspoon hot chili flakes
20 ml pomegranate syrup
Juice of a lemon
6-8 tablespoon olive oil or sunflower oil
- Wash the bulgur.
- Use the right ratio of water. Add 1,5 parts water and 1 part bulgur to a large pot and bring to the boil.
When the water boils, reduce the heat immediately.
- Cook the bulgur for 8-10 minutes over VERY low heat.
- In the meantime, start to prepare the salad.
- Chop the spring onions, parsley and red onion finely.
- Place them in a large salad bowl and mix.
- Take a large pan and heat olive oil / or sunflower oil over medium-high heat.
- Lower the heat, add tomato paste, paprika paste, hot chili flakes and saute for 4-5 minutes.
- After 4-5 minutes, add the bulgur and mix until it turnes orange.
- Mix the bulgur with the salad. Add pomegranate syrup and juice of a lemon.
Let it cool fully before serving it.