Fava bean is an annual plant of the legume family, cultivated as a food and fodder crop. Fava bans (broad beans) originated in the Mediterranean and south-west Asia, including Turkey. As many people do not know how to cook fava beans, I decided to share this delicious recipe which I prepared with the broad beans from my mom’s garden today.
Every summer, I prepare this dish 3-4 times at least. I enjoy it with a simple garlic yogurt sauce.
The preparation is similar to runner beans stew’s preparation. However, it tastes a bit different.
Let’s cook broad beans.
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 1 kg (2,2 lbs) fresh broad beans
- 2 finely chopped onions
- 2 peeled and chopped tomatoes
- Bunch of dill
- 3 cloves garlic, 2 for the dish, 1 for the garlic yogurt sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon paprika paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 black pepper
- 1 chili flakes
- 100 ml olive oil
- 1-liter HOT water
- Wash the fava beans. Cut off the ends and remove the strings from the sites.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions and sauté for 5-6 minutes until they soften.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, paprika paste, chili flakes, black pepper, 2 finely chopped garlic and sauté for another 5-6 minutes.
- Add the fava beans (broad beans), dill, and sauté for 5-6 minutes.
- Add boiling water, mix, close the lid and cook for 40-45 minutes over medium low heat.
That’s it 👌
This is how to cook fava beans.
Serve with garlic yogurt sauce hot or cold. It does not matter.
Bon Appétit 😊
Please note that not all broad beans are suitable for cooking. Some are very tough. Even if you cook them for a very long time, they will not become soft and will not be edible. However, almost all broad beans I have bought at supermarkets up to now were suitable for this dish.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #the_vegetarian_hannibal